Institut Symlog de France (SYMLOG)
Dr. Marc Poumadere (Program Director)
Field of Activity
4. HORIZONTAL ACTIVITIES
» Scenario development and decision support
» Rescue and relief services
7. SOCIO-ECONOMIC SCIENCES AND THE HUMANITIES
» Human Sciences
» Social Sciences
» Political Sciences
» Ethic Research
Institut Symlog de France is a small private structure listed in the CNRS guide to independent research
in the social sciences. Founded in 1982, Symlog has since 1984 conducted research and intervention in the
technological and natural risks.
Symlog performs studies for large French and international institutions (e.g., French Ministries of Defense and
Environment, ADEME, IRSN, EdF, ANDRA, EC-DG10&12, OECD-NEA, US NAS-NRC, Sloane Foundation, Center of
Technology Assessment in Baden-Württemburg). Field studies include action research to improve safety
nuclear and industrial installations, analysis of public communication in risk management, study of public risk
perceptions, evaluation of institutional risk regulation systems and governance. Methods include scenario
development and stakeholder workshop (participative assessment, analysis and decision), interviews
focus groups), content analysis, and surveys. Experience covers a wide range of issues: Human impact of
robotized systems into Operations (DGA/ETAS) ; Impacts of sea level rise and coastal vulnerabilities
Safety exercises for industrial plants and road/rail tunnels (Ministry of Environment/Mines ParisTech) ;
Methodological support (French Nuclear Agency: ASN).
Marc Poumadère is the founding director of Institut Symlog. Former Associate Professor at Ecole Normale
de Cachan, he has directed doctoral thesis on security at both the organizational and societal levels.
was named Fellow of the Society for Risk Analysis in 2002 (sra.org).
Recent work published in: Risk Analysis ; Climatic Change ; Radioprotection.
H2020 Research Focus
- Protecting the infrastructure of Europe and the people in the European smart cities
- SU-INFRA02-2019: Security for smart and safe cities, including for public spaces
- SU-DRS01-2018-2019-2020: Human factors, and social, societal, and organisational aspects for disaster-resilient societies
- Fight against Crime and Terrorism
- SU-FCT01-2018-2019-2020: Human factors, and social, societal, and organisational aspects to solve issues in fighting against crime and terrorism
- Border and External Security
- SU-BES01-2018-2019-2020: Human factors, and social, societal, and organisational aspects of border and external security
| ||Project Coordinator||Project Partner||Project Acronyms|
|FP7/H2020-Energy||✔||NEWLANCER ; ARCADIA ; EAGLE (DGTREN: Fission)|
|National Security Research Projects||✔||For the French Nuclear Agency (ASN): Methodological |
developping citizen security participation.
|Other Security Research Projects ||✔||French Ministry of Defense: Human impact of military |
robotized systems into Operations
Inserted / Updated
2012-06-26 / 2018-11-30